This past week, my daughter has caught the Christmas Bug!! (And I couldn’t be happier!) One of her advent activities this week was to bake cookies – but when I realized I didn’t have the ingredients to make my favorite icing? I had to improvise! (Because you can’t disappoint a 6 year olds desire for Christmas Cookies – regular chocolate chips will NOT do!!)
Staring into the cupboard, debating if I could pick out just the red and green sprinkle from the 5 color jar (yes, I was desperate!) I noticed the Candy Canes and decided to give this a try – and wow!! We have a new Christmas Cookie at our house!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1/2 cup crushed Candy Canes or Peppermints
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a second, large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and peppermint extract. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, saving the candy for last. Roll into balls, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.